Tuesday, June 21, 2011

HIV/Aids Orphans in Kenya

Bishop Maurice Makumba is one to the youngest ordinaries in the world. Last week, I had the good fortune to spend time with Bishop Maurice at a board meeting in Syracuse, New York. This week we met at St. John Fisher College with a reporter from a local paper. We discussed the HIV/ Aids problem in Kenya.
After our meeting, I reflected upon a day some months ago where Sr. Agnes of Williamsburg, Va. She explained that parents of young children were dying of Aids, leaving behind millions of displaced children. To put this in perspective, there are more children orphaned by Aids in the Sub-Sahara section of Africa alone then in World War I and World War II combined.
Jack confirmed these stories with his observations. He witnessed large numbers of children wandering the streets of Nakuru, Kenya with no parents and apparently nowhere to live. He also said that orphaned children are often left prey to sexual predators and worse. I thought to myself, what kind of world do we live in where children are left to be preyed upon in the streets or forests of Africa. I wonder; does anyone care? How is this possible? What must God think? How can man mess things up so badly?
I am not personally not tied to anyone religion, but I think that I have some perspective and comprehend the differences between right and wrong. I believe in a higher being, but am at a loss to understand how things work. If there is a compassionate all-being God, how is this happening?
Again I find myself communicating with kind, loving individuals who represent Holy Family Church and the orphanage. I am impressed by the funds that they are raising to house a small number of orphans. Initially their orphanage consisted of ten children, now there are over 46. I was informed that, the three nuns, whom run the orphanage, took in another orphan yesterday. This orphan is a small baby. She is 1 month 3 weeks old.
Last week, a friend sent me pictures of over one dozen orphans that need sponsoring. They are beautiful children. Looking into their big beautiful dark eyes makes me laugh and cry all at once. They are truly beautiful. Conflicted, I realized that it costs around two thousand dollars to raise a child in Kenya until the age of eighteen.
I called my daughters the other day and we discussed that in terms of American dollars, this means that they would have to sacrifice a few cups of coffee a month to support one child. I mentioned that if people wait until they are rich care and donate, no one would get anything done. They didn't need me to preach social responsibility. They agreed to do what they could do to help without the slightest amount of urging. We thought that if each one of us could just sponsor one child, we could make a difference in the world.
The benefactors of Holy Family Orphanage in Nakuru are focused on raising funds for land to create a safe place for the children to play. An economical updated kitchen for the orphanage is another one of their goals. The nuns are exceedingly grateful for all the attention and support that the children of Holy Family Orphanage are receiving, but more work must be done

No comments:

Post a Comment